Friday 17 September 2010

Daubentons on the lake



Last night we went on a 1.5 mile walk, organised by Herts Middlesex Bat Group, to learn more about the bats in the area using bat detectors. Our guide was bat expert Hazel Makepeace. Here is her description of the event:
Managed to have a quick whizz through my recording from last night: on the walk down to the bridge on the reserve I’ve a recording of a Noctule, then the Daubentons (at least 4) from the bridge, which we also saw. (Also at the Sopwell Nunnery site there was a Serotine, and quite a few recordings of Common pipistrelles and Soprano Pipistrelles throughout the walk).
An amazing evening, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a real treat to have heard and seen the daubentons on the lake. I have attached a picture of a Daubenton's bat which I took in August of this year


The recording of a Daubenton is available as a WAV sound file here.

No comments: