Tuesday, 23 September 2008
Saturday, 20 September 2008
Monday, 8 September 2008
A little late to be posting about this, because it was 28th June that the Summer Event was held, but it was a great day and worth reporting. Better late than never.
Pond dipping was a big attraction with kids and adults alike.
I must say I assumed there wasn't much life at all in the water, since I never see anything other than fish. How wrong I was! We found the following in one small spot:
- Tadpoles - quite big ones, some with legs
- Small diving beetles - pure black - max 1cm long
- Water louse
- Caddisfly larvae - wrapped in debris, with just head and legs poking out of the front
- Some sort of nymphs
- Three spined sticklebacks, including pregnant males and very showy red bellied males
- A baby newt - found the next day during clear up
- Small shrimps
After all that fun we had a BBQ and the adults played whack a rat with even more vigour than the children.
Posted by Sam Carr at 21:53